Spring just can’t come soon enough around here. We are so over the multiple layering of clothes and the never ending grey skies…….
Yet Springtime isn’t such a distant memory that I can’t conjure up visions of birds, sunshine and farm fresh produce. All of which come with the warmth of Spring …
This brings the focus of my little life story to a neglected quart of fresh strawberries sitting on my counter.
No one ate them.
I can’t help but think this container of strawberries wouldnt’ve (I know that’s not a real word) stood a chance of surviving if they were just freshly picked from the local berry patch.
My very first real paying job way back in the 80’s was at a strawberry farm a few miles down the road. I was in the 5th grade and was compensated a whopping 25 cents for every pint I picked! Boy, that sure doesn’t sound like very much money. A quarter doesn’t get you more than a glance these days…Anyway... back to my story.
I needed to find something to do with the berries before they turned to yuck. And since I already had a batch of chili in my larger slow cooker, I felt compelled to finish out the meal with a crock pot dessert.
My inspiration for this chocolate covered strawberry cobbler came from a recipe I saw a while back for chocolate biscuits. I thought “why can’t I scatter the dough over the strawberries?” And it worked. Amazingly well, might I add.
The sugar-coated strawberries made a syrup and the biscuits adsorbed it quite nicely. Top this cobbler off with a helping (or two) of vanilla ice cream and you’re Gold!
Ingredients
- 1 Quart Fresh Strawberries, hulled, stemmed and sliced
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar, heaping
- 1 Cup Bisquick
- 3 Teaspoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Instructions
- Place sliced fresh strawberries in 2.5 quart slow cooker. Stir in sugar to coat strawberries.
- To make chocolate cobbler dough, combine bisquick, cocoa, sugar, milk and butter. Stir until combined. Add chocolate chips. Place over strawberry mixture by dropped tablespoons until covered.
- Cook on high for approx. 1 1/2 hours or until cobbler is cooked through.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a little chocolate sauce.

Comments
Post a Comment