Thursday, July 18, 2013

Slow Cooker BBQ Bacon & Cheddar Chicken Sandwiches

This is another one of those "blast from the past" kind of recipes....
 
 
 I was reminiscing about a sandwich the other day. ( I know, I'm a little weird like that).  It was waayy back in 1997 when I first tried a Smothered BBQ Chicken Sandwich- a grilled chicken breast topped with a sweet smoky BBQ Sauce, Cheddar Cheese, and bacon. 
 
How do I remember the exact year, you say?  I was preggo with my firstborn, and that sandwich was like a little piece of heaven for this big bellied mama.  I would look forward to treating myself to one after every (monthly) doctor's appointment. 
 
{Sigh} I miss those days of such sweet simplicity.....
 
Fast forward about 15 years, 10 months.  Things like a teenager's pending driver's license and a new (used) car have this momma's anticipation levels just a tad higher than my 1997 rendezvous with a chicken sandwich. 
 
But it was still a good sammie. 


And here's a fuss free, SLOW COOKER version:




                           Slow Cooker  BBQ Bacon & Cheddar Chicken Sandwich

4 Large Boneless Chicken Breasts
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 (18 Ounce ) Bottle Barbeque Sauce ( Sweet Baby Ray's is our Favorite)
1- 1/2 Cup Real (pre-cooked) Bacon Pieces
1- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese


Place Chicken in Slow Cooker.  Sprinkle with garlic powder.  Pour barbeque sauce over meat.  Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.

Shred Chicken.  Stir in pre-cooked bacon pieces and 1 cup cheddar cheese.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.  Cover and  Cook for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
 
Serve "open faced" on toast- or on buns as a sandwich.
 
 
 
 
Stay Hungry, My Friends
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment