There are memories from my childhood that are triggered purely by the smell or taste of a certain food. One bite of Mom's fruit salad does that to me. It takes me back to a time when the only things on my mind were finding good food for my belly & figuring out where my next ultimate never ever gonna find me hide- and- go- seek spot would be...
She's been making this recipe since I can first remember, and it still tastes the same to me today as it did over 30 years ago. I made it for Easter Dinner this year & I had to chuckle a little when I saw my Dad's plate filled with this fruit salad & nothing else. He apparently remembered how good it tasted too...

20 Ounces Pineapple Chunks, Drained (or 2 Cups Fresh)
11 Ounce Can Mandarin Oranges, Drained
10 Ounces Maraschino Cherries, Drained & Halved
16 Ounces Sour Cream
2 Cups Shredded Sweetened Coconut
10 Ounces Mini Marshmallows

Combine fruit in large bowl, fold in sour cream & coconut. Stir well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
Stay Nostalgic
She's been making this recipe since I can first remember, and it still tastes the same to me today as it did over 30 years ago. I made it for Easter Dinner this year & I had to chuckle a little when I saw my Dad's plate filled with this fruit salad & nothing else. He apparently remembered how good it tasted too...

Mom's Best Marshmallow & Coconut Fruit Salad
20 Ounces Pineapple Chunks, Drained (or 2 Cups Fresh)
11 Ounce Can Mandarin Oranges, Drained
10 Ounces Maraschino Cherries, Drained & Halved
16 Ounces Sour Cream
2 Cups Shredded Sweetened Coconut
10 Ounces Mini Marshmallows
Combine fruit in large bowl, fold in sour cream & coconut. Stir well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
Stay Nostalgic
Lori Ann


Wow! I am having some fond food memories. My grandma made this all the time. Sometimes it counted as the salad at dinner. She also made a green one. I'm not sure about that. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIt could count as a salad, fruit, or Dessert! The green one sounds really neat for St. Patrick's Day :) Glad I could stir up some fond memories for you!
DeleteMy grandma makes the same thing but she sometimes adds Pistachio jello pudding mix into it. So yummy and its green!
ReplyDeleteThe coconut fruit sounds great. Thanks for linking in to Food on Friday. Cheers
ReplyDelete