Monday, January 13, 2014

Slow Cooker Strawberry Supreme Poke Cake

I was recently presented with a challenge from a great website called allfreeslowcookerrecipes.com.
 
Blair, the editor asked me if I could come up with a recipe for poke cake made in the slow cooker.
 
 
Challenge Accepted........
 
 


The first thing I had to do was figure out how to "bake" a cake in the slow cooker that didn't result in burned edges and an undercooked, gooey center. (not a fan)
 
OMG. It took a whole bunch of mind numbing research. 
 
 
Next, I needed a guinea pig.  My mom.  It just so happened to be her birthday.
 
So my daughter & I whipped this cake up yesterday. 
(BTW is was her idea to add the Hershey syrup to the whipped topping)
 
To be honest, I was nervous.  I really didn't have high hopes of this recipe turning out "blog worthy".  Maybe Mediocre at best.  
 
Well, let's just say this Slow Cooker Strawberry Supreme Poke Cake totally blew me (and my whole family) away!
So moist and full of strawberry yumminess with a hint of chocolate.  Sooo Good. I had to hide the leftovers so I wouldn't gobble the whole thing down.
 
Best of all, it baked perfectly in my 5 oval slow cooker.  No freaky brown edges or gobby raw cake center to deal with. 
I will be making waaayy more cake recipes in my slow cooker, that's for sure.
It's phenomenal!


 
 
 
Slow Cooker Strawberry Supreme Poke Cake
 
  • 1- 16.5 Ounce Strawberry Supreme Cake Mix
  • 1- 3.4 Ounce Strawberry Crème Instant Pudding mix
  • 8 Ounce Whipped Topping
  • 2 Tablespoons Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
 
 
 
1. Remove crock from heating element and pre-heat your 5 quart oval slow cooker on low setting.  Spray crock with cooking spray and lightly coat crock with flour.
 
2. Prepare cake mix according to directions on box.  Pour batter into prepared crock.  Lay a piece of aluminum foil across the top of your crockpot and put the lid on top, folding foil around the lid. Cook for 1 Hour and 35 minutes, or until center tests done. ( you will be poking holes in the cake anyway, so poke a little hole in center of cake to check doneness)
 
3. Turn crockpot off.  Remove the crock from heat and let stand 15 minutes.  Invert onto plate.  Poke holes with wooden spoon handle every inch or so on top of cake.  Prepare pudding mix according to package directions.  Immediately pour slightly runny pudding on top of your cake.  Refrigerate cake for 1 hour.
 
4. Stir 2 Tablespoons Hershey's chocolate syrup in whipped topping.  "Frost" cake and drizzle with additional chocolate syrup.  Serve immediately.  Refrigerate leftover cake.
 
This Recipe has been happily shared at:
 
Stay Challenged, My Friends....

No comments:

Post a Comment