Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Home Made {Vanilla Cinnamon} Almond Milk

Hello.
My name is Lori Ann.....
And I have a drinking problem.
{I hear the whispers and gasps}
It started with just one feel good, over the top healthy Tropical Detox Smoothie.
 But it didn't stop there.
 I started to experiment with another 
And yet another  good for you cocktail.


Then, I became restless.
My need to find something more was left unsatisfied....
Until

I discovered this:


Almonds & Water.  It makes milk.  Go Figure.

I freaked out a little when I realized how easy this was to make.
The kids were thinking that I lost my marbles....
I'm sure of it.






I just love Almond milk in my smoothies and it tastes so good with my granola cereal too. My 15 year old son even poured some over his bedtime snack {krave cereal}. He's a real health nut, that kid of mine.
Not.









To make your very own Almond Milk,  Here's what you'll need:


1 Cup Raw Almonds
3 1/2 Cups Water

1Tbs. Honey
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp. Vanilla

Blender
Nylon Mesh Bag (I found mine @ my local ACE Hardware store, see above picture)

1.Place Almonds in bowl and fill with enough water to cover Almonds.  Soak for several hours (or overnight). 
2. Drain Almonds.  Place drained Almonds in blender with 3 1/2 cups of fresh water.  Blend for 4-5 minutes, until mixture become nice & creamy.
3. Pour milk through a mesh strainer bag. Gently squeeze bag to get all the milk out of the almond pulp.
4. Pour milk back into blender, adding Cinnamon, Honey and Vanilla.  Mix until combined.
5.  Store milk in refrigerator.  Home made Almond milk will generally keep fresh for 3-4 days.



Enjoy my latest addiction!

20 comments:

  1. My daughter has an allergy to milk and I used to make this for her when she was little. I forgot how easy and yummy it was. I will have to start to make it again!

    Thanks for sharing. I would love it if you would link this and a few of your other great recipes up to my link party, In and Out of the Kitchen.

    See you there!
    Cynthia

    http://www.feedingbig.com/2013/02/in-and-out-of-kitchen-6.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is yummy! I'm heading over to check out your blog right now :)

      Delete
  2. Found you via My recipe magic! We LOVE almond milk at our house and I know my husband has been dying to make his own! Pinning for later! Thanks for sharing

    http://ikneadtobake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Shannon :) Let me know when your hubby tries it!

      Delete
  3. We haven't had 'milk' in our home in years. I buy almond milk but have made it before. It is really good!
    Thanks for sharing with us at In and Out of the Kitchen
    Dawn co host
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm not sure if I could get the entire fam on board with just almond milk. It would be worth a try though!

      Delete
  4. What a cool recipe! I just found you on My Recipe Magic! I'll have to add my recipes to that site! Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love My Recipe Magic :) Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. Stopping by to let you know that I've nominated you for a Liebster Award!! For more details see: http://chattingoverchocolate.blogspot.com/2013/03/triple-liebster-love.html . . . CONGRATS, Lori Ann! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had almond milk. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I look forward to trying this recipe.

    June
    www.ajourneytoahealthieryou.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. I love almond milk. How can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing with us at In and Out of the Kitchen Link Up Party
    Dawn
    I use almond milk and haven't used cows milk in about 7 years. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tried almond milk. It sounds yummy! I found you on In and Out of the Kitchen link party. I would love it if you would share a few of your recipes at my blog party: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/02/tried-and-true-recipes-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete